AMERICUS, Ga. – The Georgia Southwestern State University baseball team won a pair of midweek games with home victories over Tuskegee University, 11-3, on Tuesday and Valdosta State, 4-2, on Wednesday.
The Hurricanes have won four of their last five contests and head into the weekend with a 7-8 record. Tuskegee dropped to 4-7 and Valdosta State left Americus with a record of 10-6.
- GSW is 3-3 at home this spring.
- The Hurricanes have won the last three meetings with Valdosta State.
- Hunter Foster led GSW at the plate, going 4-for-8 over the two games with a double, a triple, a walk and five RBIs.
- Tyler Skelton found his way on base with three hits and three walks.
- Matthew Mamatas collected three hits.
- Bradley Hough hit the Hurricanes only home run, but made it a big one. Hough delivered a shot that cleared the left field wall and the batting cage outside for a pinch-hit grand slam against Tuskegee. It's his second grand slam against the Golden Tigers in less than a calendar year.
- Jared Donalson had the longest appearance of any GSW pitcher (4.0 innings) and earned the win against Tuskegee. Donalson did not allow a run, walked four and struck out five over 80 pitches.
- Harrison Timberlake struck out three consecutive Valdosta State batters to close out Wednesday's game and earn his second save of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Hurricanes trailed in both games.
- Tuskegee jumped out to a 3-0 lead before GSW erupted for four runs in the third sparked by a three-run triple from Foster.
- Hough made Tuskegee pay for surrendering a pair of walks and a single to open the eighth with his pinch-hit grand slam.
- Valdosta State scored a run in the third and another in the sixth to take a 2-0 lead into the seventh inning on Wednesday.
- Mamatas doubled in the bottom of the seventh after the first two batters grounded out. Bo Halcomb followed with a clutch two-out single to put the Hurricanes on the board.
- Cole Garrett set the Blazers down in order in the eighth.
- GSW made their opponent pay for free passes once again. Following a walk and a pair of hit batters, Foster came through with a two-run double. Mamatas knocked in Foster for an insurance run.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- GSW went 3-for-7 (.429) at the plate with the bases loaded over the two games.
- The Hurricanes left 18 runners on base, opponents stranded 13.
- GSW put the leadoff man aboard on 7 of 16 opportunities (.438).
- The Hurricanes favorite inning to score in was the eighth. They pushed across nine over the two games.
- GSW hosts the University North Georgia for a three-game Peach Belt Conference series that opens Saturday at 12 p.m.