GSW falls just short against Hawks, 5-4
AMERICUS - Tied 4-4, it was only fitting that the deciding match between the Georgia Southwestern and Shorter University women's tennis teams went three sets on Wednesday afternoon at the Susan K. Smith Tennis Complex. Unfortunately, for GSW the 11th-ranked team in NAIA escaped Americus with a 5-4 win.
The GSW women fall to 7-4 overall after dropping their third-consecutive match. Shorter improves to 6-0.
The Lady Hurricanes won two of three doubles matches, but could only claim victories at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, falling a match short against the Hawks.
Mollie McGowan and Melinda Vansant earned a pair of victories apiece for GSW on the afternoon.
McGowan paired with Brooke Anglin at No. 3 doubles where they were victorious over Quincey Mason and Katie Witmer, 8-2. McGowan and Macon then met at No. 5 singles where McGowan earned her seventh win of the spring, 6-4, 6-1.
Vansant partnered with Kalie Douberly for a win at No. 2 doubles, 8-6, over Nienke Van Staveren and Danielle Monteith. Vansant proceeded to win at No. 6 singles, 6-0, 6-3 over Witmer to improve her singles record to 8-2 in 2011.
The Lady 'Canes travel to Tuskegee on Thursday for a 2 p.m. contest.
Shorter University 5, Georgia Southwestern 4
1. Candice Laurent (SU) def. Leady Cuellar (GSW-W) 6-3, 6-1
2. E. DeBeaucoudrey (SU) def. Ginny Jones (GSW-W) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
3. Nienke Van Staveren (SU) def. Kalie Douberly (GSW-W) 6-2, 6-4
4. Danielle Monteith (SU) def. Brooke Anglin (GSW-W) 6-1, 6-0
5. Mollie McGowan (GSW-W) def. Quincey Mason (SU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Melinda Vansant (GSW-W) def. Katie Witmer (SU) 6-0, 6-3
1. Candice Laurent/E. DeBeaucoudrey (SU) def. Leady Cuellar/Ginny Jones (GSW-W) 8-3
2. Kalie Douberly/Melinda Vansant (GSW-W) def. Nienke Van Staveren/Danielle Monteith (SU) 8-6
3. Mollie McGowan/Brooke Anglin (GSW-W) def. Quincey Mason/Katie Witmer (SU) 8-2