Hurricanes Top ABAC For First Time In NCAA Era
TIFTON - The Georgia Southwestern men's tennis team won four of six singles matches Monday afternoon en route to a 6-3 win over Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College at the ABAC tennis courts.
The GSW teams of Evgeniy Vinogradov and Jake Koonce at No. 1 doubles and Tommy Cangelosi and Chris Eastwood at No. 2 took care of business in the opening matches to propel the Hurricanes to a 2-1 advantage heading into singles play.
It was the Hurricanes first win over ABAC since GSW joined the NCAA in 2006-07. A perennial power on the National Junior College Athletic Association circuit, ABAC has controlled the series with GSW in recent years, winning by a combined 39-6 margin over the past five seasons. ABAC has finished in the top eight at the NJCAA national tournament the past seven years. In three of those seasons, ABAC finished in third place.
The Hurricanes look to make it two wins in a row when they host Fort Valley State on Friday at 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Southwestern vs Abraham Baldwin
Feb 18, 2013 at Tifton, Ga.
(ABAC Tennis Courts)
1. Kamil Oliver Snaider (ABAC) def. Evgeniy Vinogradov (GSW-M) 6-4, 6-1
2. Dragomir Culjat (ABAC) def. Jake Koonce (GSW-M) 6-0, 6-3
3. Joseph Bjerregaard (GSW-M) def. Parker Woodall (ABAC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Matt Vansant (GSW-M) def. Richard Symanski (ABAC) 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
5. Stephen Moore (GSW-M) def. Michael Bailey (ABAC) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Valentin Demande (GSW-M) def. Jordan Chastain (ABAC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Evgeniy Vinogradov/Jake Koonce (GSW-M) def. Kamil Oliver Snaider/Dragomir Culjat (ABAC) 8-5
2. Tommy Cangelosi/Chris Eastwood (GSW-M) def. Richard Symanski/Michael Bailey (ABAC) 8-2
3. Parker Woodall/Jordan Chastain (ABAC) def. Joseph Bjerregaard/Matt Vansant (GSW-M) 9-7
Match does not count in GSW's overall record (NCAA rules)