AMERICUS - The Georgia Southwestern men's tennis team lost 7-2 to Shorter University on Wednesday afternoon at the Susan K. Smith Tennis Complex.
It was GSW's fourth-consecutive defeat and dropped the Hurricanes to 3-8 overall. Shorter, ranked 12th in NAIA, improved to 6-1 with its fifth-straight victory.
Nearly a month into the season, GSW finally played its first home match of the spring. Unfortunately the home courts didn't provide enough of an advantage as the Hurricanes lost all three doubles matches, before picking up wins at No. 4 and No. 6 singles.
Victor Pinones-Haltenhoff, returning to singles play after missing the last six contests with an injury, topped Bastien Russo at No. 4, 2-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8).
Freshman Tommy Cangelosi improved his singles record at No. 6 to 3-2 this spring with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Grayson Jones.
The Hurricanes travel to Tuskegee on Thursday for a 2 p.m. contest.
Shorter University 7, Georgia Southwestern 2
1. Badr Cherradi (SU) def. Matt Vansant (GSW) 6-1, 6-1
2. Guillaume Ledrap (SU) def. Ryan Bartz (GSW) 7-5, 6-1
3. Eric Tucoulou (SU) def. Stephen Moore (GSW) 4-6, 7-6 (7-0), 1-0 (10-3)
4. V. Pinones-Haltenhof (GSW) def. Bastien Russo (SU) 2-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Thibault Langeard (SU) def. Chris Eastwood (GSW) 6-3, 6-3
6. Tommy Cangelosi (GSW) def. Grayson Jones (SU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Badr Cherradi/Bastien Russo (SU) def. V. Pinones-Haltenhof/Chris Eastwood (GSW) 8-3
2. Guillaume Ledrap/Eric Tucoulou (SU) def. Tommy Cangelosi/Ryan Bartz (GSW) 8-3
3. Thibault Langeard/Grayson Jones (SU) def. Stephen Moore/Matt Vansant (GSW) 8-6