Men's Basketball Releases 2013-14 Schedule
AMERICUS - Georgia Southwestern State University head men's basketball coach Mike Leeder has released the program's 2013-14 schedule that features 14 games at home, 13 on the road and one at a neutral site.
GSW opens the season with five of its first six games on the road beginning Nov. 8 at North Greenville University in an inaugural meeting with the Crusaders. Less than 24 hours later the Hurricanes meet another new foe when they face Erskine College for the first time in GSW's NCAA era (since 2006-07). The Erskine game will be played at North Greenville.
GSW returns to the Peach State for a regional contest at Fort Valley State on the 12th. The Wildcats knocked off Southwestern in overtime last year in the Storm Dome.
A home-and-home series ensues with West Florida as GSW hosts the Argonauts on Nov. 14 then travels to Pensacola, Fla. on the 20th for the rematch.
A trip to Clark Atlanta University takes place on the 23rd before the Hurricanes return to Americus for a three-game homestand featuring games against Florida National University (Nov. 29), a rematch with Clark Atlanta (Dec. 4) and the Peach Belt Conference opener against Georgia College (Dec. 7).
After a visit to Clayton State on the 14th, GSW closes the calendar year with a rematch against Fort Valley State in the Storm Dome on the 19th.
Peach Belt play ensues the rest of the season. Southwestern opens 2014 on the road at Young Harris College (Jan. 4).
GSW's first home game in the new year comes on Jan. 11 against UNC Pembroke. The following afternoon Southwestern entertains Francis Marion.
After a quick stop at Montevallo on the 15th, the Hurricanes look to enjoy some home cooking for their longest stretch of the season, a four-game homestand that opens on the 18th against Flagler College. Armstrong (Jan. 20), North Georgia (Jan. 23) and Columbus State (Jan. 25) follow before GSW travels to Lander University on the 29th.
February kicks off with a Homecoming contest against Young Harris on the 1st.
In-state trips to Columbus State (Feb. 6) and Georgia College (Feb. 8) come before a rematch with Montevallo in the Storm Dome on the 12th.
GSW travels to Georgia Regents (formerly Augusta State) on Feb. 15 and USC Aiken on the 19th to wrap up out-of-division PBC play.
Senior Day and the home finale take place on Feb. 22 against Clayton State.
The regular season comes to a close in Dahlonega when Southwestern plays at North Georgia on March 1.
The Peach Belt Conference Tournament begins on Thursday, March 6 with the top four teams in each division qualifying for the postseason event. Columbus State will host this year's tourney with the winner earning the conference's automatic bid into the NCAA National Tournament.
The Hurricanes return three of their top four scorers from last year's squad, including seniors Jamon Hawkins (team-leading 13.7 ppg, 45.5 percent from 3-point range), PBC player of the Week (Feb. 4) Alan Arnett (12.6 ppg, 6.3 rpg) and Daryl Davis (8.1 ppg, 4.0 rpg).
- GSW has won 13 its last 15 non-conference games played in the Storm Dome - the Hurricanes host four contests this season
- On the schedule are first-time meetings (since GSW joined the NCAA) with three schools: North Greenville, Erskine, Florida National
- GSW leads the series against the remaining non-conference opponents: Fort Valley State (3-2), West Florida (2-0) and Clark Atlanta (1-0)
- Last time the 'Canes played Clark Atlanta: 2006
- The all-time series is tied with three PBC schools since GSW joined the conference, all members of the west division : Columbus State (7-7), North Georgia (7-7) and Young Harris (1-1)
- Seven of the 14 home games in 2013-14 will be played over a weekend (Saturday or Sunday)
- Day of the week with the most home games: Saturday (5)
- One "Sundaes on Sunday" game is on the schedule (Jan. 12)