AMERICUS, Ga. – The Georgia Southwestern State University baseball team dropped a pair of midweek non-conference games at Hurricane Stadium this week. GSW suffered a 15-3 loss against the University of West Georgia on Tuesday and a 14-6 setback against Auburn University at Montgomery on Wednesday.
The Hurricanes head into the weekend with a record of 11-21 overall, while West Georgia improved to 13-17 and Auburn Montgomery left town with a record of 16-14.
- West Georgia picked up its fourth road win of the season (4-12).
- Auburn Montgomery completed the season sweep of GSW after winning 7-3 in Montgomery on March 19.
- The Warhawks (AUM) hold a 37-28 advantage in the all-time series.
- Auburn Montgomery has a winning record (8-4) on the road this season.
- The Hurricanes have lost four in a row and seven of their last eight games.
- Tucker Smith struck out two in a brief midweek appearance, but was charged with an unearned run that put AUM out in front on Wednesday for a lead the Warhawks never relinquished.
- Outfielder Jonathan Martin was called on to make his first collegiate appearance as a relief pitcher in the ninth inning against AUM and proceeded to strike out three of four batters faced.
- Bradley Hough led Hurricane batters with three hits over the two games. All three hits came in a 3-for-5 performance against AUM.
- Hunter Foster was 2-for-4 against AUM. He didn't play against West Georgia.
HOW IT HAPPENED (UWG)
- The Hurricanes let West Georgia get the jump early by surrendering three runs in the second inning without allowing a hit. GSW hit a batter and walked six.
- West Georgia put the game away with seven runs in the third. A two-run home run and a pair of two-run singles led the outburst.
- Jason Baita delivered an RBI triple in the bottom of the third and later scored on a sacrifice fly by Martin to get the Hurricanes on the board.
- West Georgia added five insurance runs over the fifth, sixth and seventh innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED (AUM)
- Auburn Montgomery scored an unearned run in the first inning Wednesday and stretched the lead to five with a four-run, three-hit third inning.
- A nine-run, six-hit fifth inning by the Warhawks put the game out of reach.
- Devin Shea drove in a run in the bottom of the fifth to make the score 14-2.
- GSW scored four runs in the seventh by taking advantage of four walks and a pair of hit batters. Hough posted the lone hit of the frame with an RBI single.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- GSW was out-hit, 25-15, over the two games.
- The Hurricanes left 16 runners on base, opponents stranded 25.
- GSW matched UWG and AUM's combined total by putting the leadoff man aboard on 10 of 18 opportunities (.556).
- Hurricane batters were 4-for-22 at the plate (.182) with two outs and 2-for-16 (.125) with an RBI opportunity.
- GSW's favorite inning to score in was the seventh. They pushed across four over the two games.
- Hurricane pitchers walked 24 batters over 18 innings.
- The Hurricanes resume Peach Belt Conference play with a trip to Young Harris College (20-10, 8-5 PBC) for a three-game series beginning Saturday at 2 p.m.