MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Georgia Southwestern State University grabbed an early 2-0 lead on Tuesday evening, but Auburn University at Montgomery went on top in the fourth inning and pulled away with individual runs in the fifth, sixth and seventh to hand the Hurricanes a 7-3 loss at the AUM Baseball Complex.
GSW dropped to 10-17 this spring as the Hurricanes have lost six of their last seven games. Auburn Montgomery snapped a three-game losing streak to improve its record to 14-12.
- With the win, AUM holds a 36-28 advantage in the all-time series.
- GSW is 4-10 on the road this spring. AUM evened its home record in 2019 at 7-7.
- Jamison Wilks and Bradley Hough had two hits apiece to lead the Hurricanes.
- On a staff day, where the Hurricanes used four pitchers, Hayden Martin and Harrison Timberlake threw two innings apiece and both allowed one run.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Following a walk by Jason Baita to open the game and a single by Matthew Mamatas that moved Baita to third, the Hurricanes grounded out on their next three at bats in the first inning, but did manage to push across two runs.
- AUM cut the Hurricanes lead in half in the bottom half of the first by capitalizing on a walk as well. The Warhawks moved the runner around without registering a hit via a stolen base, sacrifice bunt and fielder's choice ground out.
- The Warhawks put together a three-hit, three-run fourth inning to take the lead. A two-run double to close out the offense in the frame proved to be the game-winning hit.
- Wilks led off the fifth with a single and Colby Hall was hit by a pitch to give the Hurricanes offense some life. The Hurricanes manufactured a run following a sacrifice bunt with a sacrifice fly by Mamatas to pull within a run, 4-3.
- AUM scored a run in the fifth inning, hit a solo home run in the sixth and scored on a wild pitch in the seventh.
- The Hurricanes hit into a double play in the sixth inning and another in the seventh to stifle any potential rally.
- Bo Halcomb tripled to center field to open the ninth, but was left stranded.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- GSW out-hit the Warhawks, 9-7.
- GSW left six runners on base. AUM stranded four.
- The Hurricanes put their leadoff man aboard five times, but AUM topped that strong number by starting six of its eight innings at the plate with the leadoff man reaching base.
- The Hurricanes were 0-for-6 with an RBI opportunity and 1-for-13 (.077) overall with a runner on base.
- The Hurricanes host Lenior-Rhyne University (11-16) for a three-game non-conference series this weekend. First pitch of Saturday's doubleheader is scheduled for 1 p.m.