AIKEN, S.C. – The Georgia Southwestern State University baseball team opened its three-game weekend Peach Belt Conference series at the University of South Carolina Aiken with a 4-3 win on Friday evening at Roberto Hernandez Stadium. The Pacers rallied to take the final two games, handing GSW an 8-1 loss on Saturday and an 8-3 defeat in the finale on Sunday.
The Hurricanes exit the weekend with a record of 10-16 overall, 5-10 in the PBC, while USC Aiken improved to 16-9, 8-4 to sit atop the conference standings.
- USC Aiken ran its record at home this spring to 10-4.
- USC Aiken ranks sixth in the latest NCBWA Southeast Region poll.
- The Hurricanes fall to 8-25 all-time against the Pacers.
- Andy Moore led GSW at the plate over the weekend. Moore went 4-for-6 (.667) with a home run, a walk and two RBIs.
- A.J. Hayes struck out four over his 2 2/3 innings of scoreless relief.
- Tucker Smith improved his record to 5-1 with an eight-inning performance in Game 1 of the series.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Moore brought home Jonathan Martin with an RBI single in the fourth inning of Game 1 to open the scoring.
- Jason Baita was hit by a pitch to kick off the Hurricanes three-run eighth inning and proceeded to steal second. Following an intentional walk to Martin, Hunter Foster drove in a run with a single and Matthew Mamatas pushed across the eventual game-winning run with single to left.
- A two-run home run by USC Aiken in the bottom half of the eighth inning made things interesting as it pulled the Pacers within a run, but relief pitcher Harrison Timberlake closed out the opener with a scoreless ninth for his third save of the season.
- USC Aiken score three runs with four hits in the first inning of Game 2 and never looked back.
- The Pacers led 8-0 before GSW scored its lone run in the seventh, a home run by freshman Tyler Adams. The first of his collegiate career.
- USC Aiken was up 2-0 in the finale when GSW scored its first run in the fourth inning. Martin scored from third on a one-out fielder's choice off the bat of Bo Halcomb.
- The Pacers answered with three hits and three runs in the bottom of the fourth to put Sunday's game out of reach.
- Moore homered in the sixth inning with the bases empty.
- Halcome plated his second run of the game with a single in the eighth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- GSW was out-hit in the series (25-19).
- The Hurricanes left 21 runners on base, USC Aiken stranded 29.
- GSW put the leadoff man aboard on 10 of 27 opportunities (.370).
- Hurricane batters were 3-for-29 at the plate (.103) with two outs and 5-for-33 (.152) with an RBI opportunity.
- GSW's favorite inning to score in was the eighth. They pushed across four over the weekend.
- GSW starting pitchers combined to surrender nine earned runs over 12 innings and allowed 10 hits and nine walks over the weekend.
- Right-handed batters for USC Aiken were held to a collective .237 average (14-for-59) against GSW pitching.
- The Hurricanes travel to Auburn Montgomery on Tuesday to face the Warhawks (13-12) at 6 p.m. EDT.