PEMBROKE, N.C. – The University of North Carolina Pembroke swept a three-game Peach Belt Conference baseball series against Georgia Southwestern over the weekend at Sammy Cox Field to wrap up the 2018 regular season. UNC Pembroke took the opener in Saturday's doubleheader, 16-7, and won the nightcap, 13-7. On Sunday, the Braves cruised to an 11-2 victory.
- GSW closed its 2018 campaign on a three-game skid and finished with an overall record of 10-35, the lowest win total in program history since making the jump to NCAA Division II in 2007, and a 5-25 mark in Peach Belt play.
- UNC Pembroke will take an eight-game winning streak into the Peach Belt Conference Tournament that runs from May 11-13 in St. Augustine, Fla. The Braves are 36-12 overall, 17-12 in conference and 27-2 at home.
- Senior Jared Jones ended his collegiate career on a high note as he led Hurricane batters with nine hits in the series. Jones finished 9-for-12 (.750) with a pair of walks, scored twice and drove in two runs. Jones led the Hurricanes in batting average, hits, home runs and RBIs this season.
- Junior Jason Baita played well on Saturday, going 5-for-10 in the doubleheader with two doubles, a home run and four RBIs.
- Freshman Jamison Wilks had two doubles in the finale and joined Jones on the short list of GSW players with multiple hits on Sunday.
- For UNCP, Trey Jacobs and Connor Grainger stepped up and led the way at the plate. Both men had multiple hits in each game of the series. Jacobs went 8-for-15 with four doubles, a home run and seven runs batted in. Grainger finished 7-for-14 with two doubles, a triple, a home run and eight RBIs. Jacobs and teammate Luke Jackson exit the weekend tied for the top spot in the PBC in batting average at .417. Jackson had four hits in the series and three walks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- GSW jumped out to a 3-1 lead in the opening game after delivering five hits over the first two innings, but UNCP rattled off 14 unanswered runs and cruised to the Game 1 victory.
- UNCP led 9-0 in Game 2 by the end of the second inning.
- GSW managed to pull within three runs of the Braves in Game 2 after a five-run, six-hit fourth inning and a two-run home run from Baita in the fifth.
- GSW trailed 6-2 after four innings in the finale and a five-run eighth by UNCP put a cap on the weekend.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- GSW posted 37 hits over the weekend, UNCP belted 43.
- The Hurricanes left 34 runners on base, UNCP stranded 21.
- UNCP relief pitchers combined to throw 9 1/3 innings over the weekend and held GSW to seven hits and one earned run.
- GSW's bullpen surrendered 18 earned runs over 14 innings and allowed 21 hits.
- The Hurricanes 2018 season comes to a close.